{Instagram}

12 July 2012

Hero - Nancy Mitford


This month for my hero post I want to introduce you to Nancy Mitford.  Her novels Love in a Cold Cimate and the Pursuit of love are two of my absolute favourite books.


I first came across Nancy and her sisters when I happened upon the 2000 BBC series Love in a Cold Climate which is actually the story of The Pursuit of Love as well combined into a one series.  I was hooked from the first few moments.  I love a period drama, especially about the British aristocracy, I find everything about that lifestyle and time absolutely fascinating.  I did my research after watching the series and bought and read the original novels and was delighted to discover the characters in the novels were semi autobiographical and she took her own life and that of her 5 sisters as inspiration.


Nancy was the eldest of the Mitford Sisters, who each went on to be famous or perhaps rather more notorious in their own right.  One sister, Unity, was close the Nazi party and Hitler! Another sister, Jessica was quite the opposite, and became heavily involved in Communism and Deborah, the youngest, became the Duchess of Devonshire and lives at Chatsworth House.

Nancy is admired for being a very talented and popular novelist and my love of her stories is primarily why she is on my Hero list.  Her characters are wonderful, I love the relationships between the sisters, the silly names they have for each other, the teasing and the little secret inside jokes.  She describes their games, their adventures and their lifestyles so well.  Of course being aristocratic the main characters in her books Linda, Fanny and Polly have nothing much to do but wait around until they get married, and they are all debutantes and have their coming out parties, which is a tradition I find so interesting and lovely.


If you would like to find out more about Nancy Mitford, check out these links...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Mitford
http://www.nancymitford.com/

Read her novels...

Love in a Cold Climate
The Pursuit of Love
Don't Tell Alfred
The Blessing
Wigs on the Green

Which you can read in one collection, here... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-Complete-Novels-Nancy-Mitford/dp/1905490895

Also check out her biographies and books of letters, which are absolutely fascinating....

Nancy Mitford - Diana Moseley
The House of Mitford - Jonathan Guinness
The Mitfords: Letters between Six Sisters - Charlotte Moseley
The Letters of Nancy Mitford and Evelyn Waugh - Charlotte Moseley

There are loads of books written about the Mitford Sisters, just type in 'Mitford' to Amazon, I am sure you will quickly become as obsessed as I am and want to read more and more!

All photos from http://www.npg.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I read each and every one, and they mean a lot to me. I do always try my best to reply.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...