{Instagram}

22 October 2012

A Visit to Shambellie House

This weekend was lovely, I was staying in Dumfries, Scotland with my best friend and her kids.  On Saturday the weather was just beautiful (rare for Scotland, haha!) so we decided to get out and do something.  Neither of us had been to the Museum of Costume so we thought we would give it a look.

I love museums, especially costume museums, so I was super excited to see this, and I had no idea the museum building itself was so stunning! You arrive at the museum in a woodland car park and there is a little walk up the driveway through the grounds to reach the house.  I didn't think I would be more excited about the building than the contents, but I gasped when I saw this poking through the trees as we got closer.

We certainly picked the right day, beautiful crisp Autumn weather, all the different coloured trees framing the house was just lovely.  But I'm sure any day you come you could not fail to be impressed by this sight. The Scots really do know how to do fairytale architecture don't they!


Inside the museum did not dissapoint either.  Each room is traditionally decorated and packed with original features and furniture from the house.  It is rather like visiting a stately home, and each room is set up with mannequins showing fine period costumes.  It is beautifully curated, has such great attention to detail and no obtrusive displays and signs.  The kids had a great time too, with a family trail to complete and different things to look out for in each room.  The girls especially loved the dressing up clothes!


I can't recommend a visit highly enough, but pick a nice day so you can enjoy the grounds too.

You can find out more about the museum here http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/museum_of_costume.aspx

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks lovely. I've been to Dumfies before but I've never heard of this place. Will have to pay a visit one day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy. it is rather tucked away, quite a bit out of town, but VERY much worth a visit. The whole area around there is beautiful, further up the road is a ruined abbey and a picturesque little village.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, oh wow! This place looks stunning! Great photos Jo! Sounds like you had a wonderful day!

    Jo :-) x
    adventuresandteaparties.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, it really was stunning, I couldn't stop staring at it!. x

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I read each and every one, and they mean a lot to me. I do always try my best to reply.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...