{Instagram}

17 December 2012

Crochet Christmas Stars & Snowflakes

I have had so much fun making these little crochet star and snowflake decorations over the past few weeks.  They are going to be little presents for family and friends.  I like making things to give as presents, think it makes it extra special that you have put time, effort and thought into something. 

I think they are very effective and they are also very inexpensive.  I paid a couple of pounds each for the balls of wool (which would make many!) and then a couple of pounds for the ribbon. So each decoration would work out as literally pennies! The buttons you will find from your button stash (I know most of you who will be reading this blog will have a button stash!)


How to make the snowflake:

Foundation Ring
Ch5, join with SS to form ring.

Round 1
Ch1 (2dc in ring, ch3) 6 times, join with ss in first dc.

Round 2
Ss in next dc, ch1, *(2dc, ch3, 2dc) into next ch-3 space, repeat from * 5 times more, join with ss to first dc.

Round 3
Ch1, *(1dc, ch3, 1dc, ch5, 1dc, ch3, 1dc) into next ch-3 space, ch2, repeat from * 5 more times, join with ss into first dc and fasten off.

This pattern is taken from '150 Blocks to Knit & Crochet' by Heather Lodinsky, 2011 Quarto Publishing.

Sew in all your ends with a wool needle and then I just sewed on the ribbon and button detail for decoration.

How to make the star:

Foundation Ring
Ch5, join with a ss to form ring.

Round 1
Work 5tr into the ring, with 1 ch between each tr.  Join with a ss to first tr.

Round 2
In the centre stitch of each of the 5 trebles work (3tr, 2ch, 3tr) with 1 ch between each group. Ss to join.

Round 3
Ss into first tr of previous round then in the chain space from previous round work a *(3tr, picot, 3tr) group. Ss into first tr of previous round, ch2, ss into third tr of previous round then repeat from * into the next 4 chain spaces.  Join with a ss and sew in ends with a wool needle.

Picot = 2ch, dc back into the st where the 2ch started.  This forms a nice little point to the corners of your star.

This pattern is my own re-working and cobbling together of various star patterns I have found in books and online.  There are loads of great star patterns, just search in Pinterest as a starting point.

I hope the pattern makes sense, let me know if you try it and get stuck, I would be happy to try and explain it better!

Well I am now contemplating making more so I can keep a few for myself.  I have already made double what originally planned as I keep thinking of other people to give them to!  But they are so easy to make, you can make a several in one evening.  (But don't tell people that! a LOT of effort goes in to them really!) hehe!

Have you crocheted any xmas decorations this year?  Would love to see...

Thanks so much for popping by, I have LOADS of new FREE crochet patterns coming up on the blog, don't miss them, subscribe now via Bloglovin here

3 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful Jo xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so gorgeous! I really wish I could crochet, maybe some day!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love these . Can't wait to have a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I read each and every one, and they mean a lot to me. I do always try my best to reply.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...