{Instagram}

6 March 2013

The Bookcase Project Part 1

Way back in November Marky and I did a little treasure hunting and it was a BIG success.  I went looking for a bookcase for my hallway and I came back with the ideal thing! I was dying to 'upcycle' some furniture as a fun project (Kirstie's Vintage Home was on TV at the time) so this little sad, grubby looking bookcase has been sitting around awaiting since then for its pretty new look.
 
So Saturday was really sunny, perfect day for a little outside painting.  We paid B&Q a little visit first to purchase supplies, paint and gloss.  Luckily being a handy sort of a fellow, Marky already had paint brushes, dust sheets, sandpaper etc.
 
Step 1 Sanding - Ugh, I'm a super impatient person so any sort of preparation before getting onto fun things like painting annoys me, ugh.  But Marky insisted I should do it right, (suppose he has a point, groan!) so I sanded, like forever, until the little bookcase wasn't shiny anymore.  This provides a good surface for the paint to stick to, allegedly.
 
Step 2 Sponge - After sanding you need to wipe down the bookcase with a damp cloth to get all of the little bits of dust off, you don't want those in your paint!
 
Step 3 Painting - Wuhu the fun bit.  I like painting, especially painting interesting shapes in super pretty, bright colours! The green is Dulux in Dublin Bay 3 which is a colour you have to get mixed in the cool shakey machine.  I purchased a small tester pot from B&Q for around £3.60 but these mixed paint testers are a lot bigger than standard ones and plenty of paint for a few coats, bargain!
 
 
Ta da! The fully painted bookcase! Don't worry don't worry it is only the first coat, so yeah it's a little streaky. 
 
Step 4 Waiting & Drying - Ugh, another tedious part of the process is waiting for coats to dry... Mark suggested I leave it overnight, suppose he is right again, double ugh! So that is where we leave part 1.  My little green bookcase is waiting for further coats safely tooked away at Mark's house (if he remembered to bring it inside that is). This is only the first stage in the bookcase, more cool things will be happening before the makeover is complete, I can't wait!
 
So stay tuned for the next super exciting instalment of the Bookcase Project...
 
P.S. wondering what those weird green spoldges are in corner of the photos? Yeah me too, then I realised, ages later, it might have something to do with the bright green new iPhone case I purchased that slightly covers the lens, doh!
 

8 comments:

  1. Awe it looks amazing! I want one! My bookshelf is tiny and my books are spilling out into drawers and windowsills, not good! I want a brightly coloured little cutie like this one!! :)
    Mia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia, thanks so much for your kind comment. I am having so much fun restyling this bookcase, it's so easy to do if you look around in junk shops, ebay etc for a cheap one then get painting! x

      Delete
  2. Gaah i can't wait to see how it looks! This is exciting! (or i have no life!! lol). And of course you chose green :)

    Love it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Sally. Yeah I was determined I would go for a different colour but I am so drawn to this green I would be sad if I had to choose something else, hehe. But there may be other colours introduced, so stay tuned... x

      Delete
  3. So that's what the paint was for! It looks so cool already. We have a hodge-podge of different bookcases all over our house - it would be nice to have them all the same colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Anna, I think I would probably prefer to have all different colours and styles of bookcases in my house, I like a sort of mis mashed look. But they so easy to paint... x

      Delete
  4. Such a nice ideas, really like the shape of this book case and the colour you've picked, looking forward to seeing what you get up to with it!
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Helen, just had a peak at your blog too, I see you are an Attic 24 fan as well. Love your Wednesday Remembering posts, really nice idea.x

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I read each and every one, and they mean a lot to me. I do always try my best to reply.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...