{Instagram}

8 May 2013

The Bookcase Project Part 3

And now.... for the third and final part of the Bookcase Project...  We left Part 2 you may remember, with a freshly painted complete bookcase and it was looking pretty good.  So what else could I be wanting to do to it??  
 
Step 10 Yep, we distressed it! So the pic above shows the tools we used, a wallpaper scraper, sandpaper and a wire brush.

I love the shabby chic look at the moment and have been dying to have a go at distressing something. I don't like things too new and polished and perfect looking, when things look a bit worn, old and battered they are more to my taste so distressed furniture appeals. 
 
We tried to think about the areas that would get the most knocks naturally as we wanted it to look quite genuinely distressed, so we scraped along the edges with the wallpaper scraper.  Mark made the first marks, it was a little upsetting to see all my nice paint work ruined but it's quite a satisfying job.
 
We scraped through so you could see the original wood and the white paint underneath.  We used the wire brush on some of the rougher parts in the shelf itself, just brush really hard until some of the paint flakes off. Then we finished off each distressed bit with the sandpaper to make it look worn.
 
Step 11 Varnish To seal in all the paintwork (to prevent actual unwanted chipping) and to protect the new distressed areas it is a good idea to varnish the whole thing.  It also makes it look shiny and finished off.  We chose a quick dry wood varnish from B&Q it was only a few pounds for a small tin, and we only used a little bit (plenty left over for further projects...).  The varnish is white opaque when it goes on, which is good so you can see where you have put it, but it dries clear and gives a nice sheen.
 
The finished result isn't too shiny, it is not glossy, it just brings out the brightness of the paint.
 
Step 12 Final 'Ta da' Moment and here it is in its new home in my little loft flat.  It goes perfectly in a little corner by my dining table.  The walls in the flat are not perfectly straight (it's old and quirky) plus there is a skirting board along the bottom so I asked Mark nicely to secure it to the wall.  You can't see it in the pic but we got some tiny brass plates, that screw into the back of the bookcase and then onto the wall.  I just had visions if it toppling over on Meg if she tried to jump on it whilst I was out, so thought this was a good option.
 
My pretty new bookcase is now home to my collection of small bowls and the start of my new collection of Iwako puzzle erasers...
 
And of course some books.  As it is a 'homemade' bookcase I thought it was only right for it to hold crafty books, so one shelf has my cookbooks on and the other all my Mollie Makes, crochet and sewing books.
 
I am really happy with my little bookcase, I think it has actually turned out better than I imagined it!  I am just itching to get started on a new furniture project now, next I think some chairs...
 
What do you think then now it is all complete?  Do you like the 'shabby chic' look or would you have kept it just nicely painted?
 

8 comments:

  1. Ah i LOVE it!!!!!!! Looks beautiful Jo xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally, Im really pleased with it, just can't wait to get onto my next project now. x

      Delete
  2. It looks awesome Jo! DO you have every single issue of MM? I'm only missing issue 1! Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna. yes I have every issue, I subscribed right from the start. is it possible to get back issues?

      Delete
  3. I love-love the final look of the bookcase! you did such an amazing job, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Maria. x

      Delete
  4. this book shelf (including the colours you are painting it!) reminds of a dresser that was at my nana's. sweet. mezz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment Mezz. Your Nana and I must have similar taste! x

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I read each and every one, and they mean a lot to me. I do always try my best to reply.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...