{Instagram}

13 October 2014

Crochet Halloween Pumpkin - FREE Pattern

I believe I mentioned this last year on my Nails post and my Party post but I LOVE Halloween! Loved it ever since I was little and used to go out trick or treating with my sister dressed as witches. Friends and family seem to be reluctant to dress up these days and get in the festive spirit, something about being 'too old'! NEVER! Anywho... any excuse for some themed crafts.  I present to you the first of two Halloween themed crafts this week on the blog, meet my little Pumpkin Pal!


You will need some orange yarn, I am using Patons Fairytale Dreamtime DK and a small piece of brown yarn, I have no idea what this yarn is, it was just loose in my stash.  You will need black embroidery thread for face. You will also need a crochet hook, my trusty 3.5, darning needle and some scissors.

My pumpkin is teeny, he measures only 29cm round.  But you could probably just double or triple all the numbers in the pattern here to make a bigger one!

Here's the pattern... worked in a continuous spiral

  1. Ch 3, join with a ss to form a ring
  2. Work 5 dc into your ring, don't join (5)
  3. Work 2 dc into each st (10)
  4. *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st* repeat x4 more times (15)
  5. *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 2 stitches* repeat x4 more times (20)
  6. *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 3 sts* repeat x4 more (25)
  7. *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 4 sts* repeat x4 more (30)
  8. *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 5 sts* repeat x4 more (35)
  9. *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 6 sts* repeat x 4 more (40)
  10. *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 7 sts* repeat x4 more (45)
  11. *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 8 sts* repeat x4 more (50)
  12. 50 dc around (50)
  13. 50 dc around (50)
  14. 50 dc around (50)
  15. *dc2tog, 1 dc in next 8 sts* repeat x 4 more (45)
  16. 45 dc around (45)
  17. *dc2tog, 1 dc in next 7 sts* repeat x4 more (40)
  18. 40 dc around (40)
  19. *dc2tog, 1 dc in next 6 sts* repeat x4 more (35)
  20. 35 dc around (35)
  21. *dc2tog, 1 dc in next 5 sts* repeat x4 more (30)
  22. *dc2tog, 1 dc in next 4 sts* repeat x4 more (25)
  23. *dc2tog, 1 dc in next 3 sts* repeat x4 more (20)
Pause here and add your face! See below for face instructions.  For my pumpkin I left the front where the face is in one large segment, if you prefer to segment this bit see instructions below and segment your pumpkin before embroidering your face.

Stuff your pumpkin before moving on with the last couple of rows, pause again just before you finally sew it up to check you have the right amount of stuffing.
  1. *dc2tog, 1 dc in next 2 sts* repeat x4 more (15)
  2. *dc2tog, 1 dc in next st * repeat x4 more (10)
  3. Cut off your yarn, leaving a really really long tail (you need this to make the pumpkin segments later) and thread with a darning needle.
  4. Work your needle through each stitch and pull tight to close up the hole.

The Face

For the face I used some thick black embroidery thread, use all the strands.  I marked out my face with a little pencil mark first, using the stitches to line them up and as a size guide to get your eyes even.

I marked out a triangle shape outline with my thread then I simply filled it in with horizontal stitches across decreasing the size of the stitch according to the triangular shape.  Ensure you fasten off your thread at the back securely.  

If you are using a thick dense yarn it is fine to go straight from one eye to the next without fastening off and snipping but be careful as sometimes the 'trails' show at the front.

Stuff your pumpkin with toy stuffing.  Be careful to use stuffing suitable for children, flame retardant etc if this is for a child.

Use the same black thread for the mouth, simply mark it out how you want it in pencil and then I used a running stitch.  You can use your stitches as markers again to get straight lines.

Segmenting

Now for the pumpkin shape!  This is where your long tail comes in.

Mark out with pencil or a tiny stitch equal segments around your pumpkin shape, thread a darning needle onto the end of your long tail and bring the yarn out from the bottom and round your pumpkin and down through the top, pull your yarn tight so you get the desired squashed pumpkin segments.

Repeat this all the way round so you have the desired number of segments.  I put in 3 small segments in the back and left the front where the face is in one larger segment.  If you wish to segment the face as well it is probably best to segment before embroidering!


To finish off your scary pumpkin add a little stalk.  For the stalk using your brown yarn,  I simply made a ch of 7, then starting in the second ch from hook worked 1 sc into each stitch down, fastening off and leaving a long tail for sewing onto my pumpkin.

There you have it, a scary Halloween pumpkin! I probably wouldn't try sticking a candle in him, nor leaving him outside! I don't think a soggy wool pumpkin is very scary! LOL!
Do let me see if you make a scary pumpkin, or any other Halloween crafts! Tweet me, Instagram me, FB me, you can find all my social media links up there at the top on the right.
 
Did you enjoy this post? Don;t miss out on any fab FREE crochet patterns and subscribe to my blog via Bloglovin here.

4 comments:

  1. I love it I love it I love it!!

    That's tonight's activity sorted then.

    Don't even know if I have any orangey wool in my stash. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. Let me know how you get on with the pattern. X

      Delete
  2. So cute, I love it thank you for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind comment, you are most welcome. So glad you like it. x

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I read each and every one, and they mean a lot to me. I do always try my best to reply.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...