{Instagram}

12 February 2015

Cumbria: A Visitor's Guide

There is no prettier place on earth than the county of Cumbria, now that is a FACT! Cumbria has been my home for 34 years (with a few de-tours to Manchester for uni and London because clearly I lost my mind!) but there is just something about this county of mine that snaps people back like a boomerang! 
 
When we were young and straight out of school, yes, we maybe couldn't wait to get out of the place. We wizzed off in new directions to the bright lights and big cities but slowly over the years each of my good school friends have made their way back home.  And er, as these blog posts over the years prove, its a no brainer as to why!
 
So what should I do if I visit Cumbria???

 
Camp in Borrowdale - my favourite place in the Lake District

Get a big gang together and stay in a camping barn

Get on your bike and discover the trails

Spend a weekend doing some pot (at Potfest of course, a festival of pottery)

Visit the mysterious and notorious old ruin of Kirklinton Hall
Take a trip to Aira Force

Walk along the beautiful Keswick railway footpath

Visit Carlisle Castle

Gaze at the beautiful gardens at Dalemain stately home

Loose yourself to a weekend of hard partying at local festival Solfest

Stroll through the beautiful Armathwaite woods

Visit the magnificent Lowther Castle

Go wild swimming at Black Moss Pot

Visit the beautiful little castle at Brougham (we locals say 'Broom')

Enjoy an utterly blissful morning visiting Lanercost priory (and the adjoining tearooms, no better cakes in all of Cumbria!

Celebrate all things woolly, when the annual Woolfest comes to town in the summer

Visit the most stunning of all the Cumbria stately homes, Hutton in the Forest

Go bothying in the Lakes!



Visit the seaside at Silloth

Take a beautiful walk along the path from Carlisle to the little village of Grinsdale
Climb a huge mountain and be rewarded with the view (well ok a small fell) but views none the less at Latrigg, Keswick

Stroll through the Historic Quater in the city of Carlisle
 
Well I never realised how many blog posts I had penned on my fair county of Cumbria. Turns out when put together they make a rather fabulous visitors guide! 
 
Have you visited any on my list? What have I missed? What is your favourite thing to do in this fair county?
 
You can keep up to date with all my Cumbrian blog posts with this link here!
 
Don't forget to subscribe, you can use this handy Bloglovin link or look over on my right hand side bar for other ways to ensure you never miss a post on The Perfect Hiding Place.
 

6 comments:

  1. I love this! We've been here over two years now and we've still got lots to explore (although we're limited to babyproof places these days). Cumbria is a beautiful place to call home xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments Anne. Cumbria sure is beautiful and I've only ever explored a fraction of it too, thats what makes it so great, so many things to do. x

      Delete
  2. Great post! I use to have a lot of family holidays growing up in the Lakes, particularly around Keswick where my uncle use to own a flat so I have many great memories of feeding the ducks on Derwent Water and going on the boats (once one actually broke down in the middle of the lake and we had to be rescued) to playing mini golf, so many fun times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachael, thanks so much for your comment. Keswick is my absolute favourite place for the very same reason as you, i grew up there! My mum and dad are both from there and my grandparents lived there when i was younger. So many nice memories.

      Delete
  3. Although living in England all my life, I've never ever visited The Lake District or anywhere in Cumbria. But you sure to make a case for a visit! So many lovely views, castles and just pure nature, everything I look for in a holiday.
    I guess it's typical that when you move away suddenly you see how great your grass looked haha! I hope to have more chance to visit the UK and travel around, but so far all the visits my bf and I have done to return home have ended in not much at all, except a lot of family time. Tb be honest, I'd rather see those castles up there!

    ~ K

    www.crumbsinthebed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. Cumbria is certainly worth a visit, so much to do and it is just beautiful! I just can't imagine living anywhere else but here now. I hope you get to visit soon. x

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I read each and every one, and they mean a lot to me. I do always try my best to reply.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...