{Instagram}

10 September 2015

Sewing: Handmade Baby Name Bunting

A customer recently got in touch to place a bunting order for a friend's new baby girl.  She also requested some bunting for the new baby's sister.  So we discussed ideas for fabric choices and colours etc.

I suggested that she might not want to go with matching bunting, but perhaps opposite colours? My sister and I used to enjoy dressing similar, but my mum would always choose different colours for us. So I picked two fabrics and alternated them for the two names.

My customer did not want anything 'too girly', so I had fun picking out the perfect fabrics.  I am having a bit of a thing for gingham so was instantly attracted to this bright pink.  I had originally thought perhaps a ditsy floral would be really cute with the gingham, but that's probably 'too' girly isn't it!  Then I spied this delicate checked fabric and fell in love.  Its super pretty, a bluey green with a brighter green and pink spot throughout.  It goes so well I think with the pink, and looks great that they are both checks.  It is a nice soft colour, great for a baby, without being too girly.

When I asked the names of the little girls I found myself in a bit of a dilemma! Evie and Lucy are beautiful names and it is great they have the same number of letters! However even numbered names don't make such great bunting, as perfect bunting, in my humble opinion, has alternate coloured pennants right? So do I go with just one fabric for each triangle, or go for a different fabric for each triangle? Of course it would be an OCD nightmare to end on different colours and the bunting not be balanced, aaargh!


So we decided on some star motifs on the ends of each of the names, this way I could do all the letters in one colour and add in the second fabric for the stars.  Then working the opposite way for the other name.

I picked out the green colour from the tiny spot in the fabric and used this colour thread for the blanket stitches embroidery round the letters. I love a visible stitch, but it does force you to be extra neat with your sewing!



I chose a really wide ribbon for the edging.  I folded it in half and pressed it with the iron, then pinned each pennant into the ribbon in place before tacking and sewing.  Choosing a wide ribbon like this ensures that the back of your bunting looks just as neat as the front.

I put one row of running stitch on the machine through the middle of the ribbon to hold everything in place and then I sealed the edge of the ribbon with a visible zig zag stitch, which I think adds a nice little detail.


I've discovered it's quite hard to photograph bunting! Generally it is very long and I can't get a decent angle to photograph it all spread out... I also don't have many perfect light walls in the flat to hang it for the photo! But here are the finished bunting strings, just a bit folded up for the photo!

I'm actually super pleased with how this bunting turned out, it was quite difficult to part with, its so pretty.  I do however have some fabric left over.... Hmmm... Maybe some 'Joanne' bunting would look nice in my bedroom....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I read each and every one, and they mean a lot to me. I do always try my best to reply.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...