{Instagram}

8 December 2015

Come and Visit Cumbria!

I am a very proud Cumbrian, born and bred here and lived here most of my life, I simply cannot imagine wanting to live anywhere else.

You will no doubt have heard the news this week about our devastating floods affecting most of the county.  I am very very lucky to live on a hill in Carlisle but friends have been left homeless and lost livelihoods.

It has been super amazing over the past few days to hear the many many kind hearted Cumbrians rallying round to help one another.  We all have a very determined spirit to carry on and get our county on its feet again.

But YOU can help... yes you! No doubt this horrid weather gets everyone looking forward to summer well why not consider Cumbria as your summer holiday destination for 2016...or even a New Year mini break... it is simply STUNNING! Come and spend your pennies in our amazing county, our local businesses need you!

Need a bit of encouragement, well I originally posted this early this year, but here is an updated Visitors Guide to Cumbria... come on.... after reading this you will be just leaping at the chance to get your hol booked....
 
So what should I do if I visit Cumbria???

Go for a walk! That's what we are best at in these parts, there's no end of places to walk, why not try this one, its a beauty, a great little walk for the beginner with a little bit of climbing... but oh so worth it... 

Visit the simply breathtaking Derwent Water and the beautiful, friendly little town of Keswick.  After my home city of Carlisle, Keswick is my absolute fave place in the county, it is my second home and where both my parents are from too, I never pass up the chance to visit, and we visit a LOT!
 
Walk round a lake! Talkin Tarn just ten miles out of Carlisle is a lovely little place to visit, take a stroll around the tarn, play in a canoe, the kids play area, stop for a coffee in the tea room and of course get yourself an ice cream! We visited when some woolly friends were on display, but its open all year round!

Try out a crazy mud obstacle course! Cumbria is famous for its outdoor activities and there's no end to the crazy fun you can have. There are now many opportunities to get yourself muddy literally head to toe! I gave Gelt Gladiator a go last summer...
Camp in Borrowdale - my favourite place to camp in the Lake District

Get a big gang together and stay in a camping barn

Get on your bike and discover the trails

Spend a weekend doing some pot (at Potfest of course, a festival of pottery)

Visit the mysterious and notorious old ruin of Kirklinton Hall
Take a trip to Aira Force

Walk along the beautiful Keswick railway footpath

Visit Carlisle Castle

Gaze at the beautiful gardens at Dalemain stately home

Loose yourself to a weekend of hard partying at local festival Solfest

Stroll through the beautiful Armathwaite woods

Visit the magnificent Lowther Castle

Go wild swimming at Black Moss Pot

Visit the beautiful little castle at Brougham (we locals say 'Broom')

Enjoy an utterly blissful morning visiting Lanercost priory (and the adjoining tearooms, no better cakes in all of Cumbria!)

Celebrate all things woolly, when the annual Woolfest comes to town in the summer

Visit the most stunning of all the Cumbria stately homes, Hutton in the Forest

Go bothying in the Lakes!



Visit the seaside at Silloth

Take a beautiful walk along the path from Carlisle to the little village of Grinsdale
Climb a huge mountain and be rewarded with the view (well ok a small fell) but views none the less at Latrigg, Keswick

Stroll through the Historic Quarter in the city of Carlisle
 
Well I never realised how many blog posts I had penned on my fair county of Cumbria. Turns out when put together they make a rather fabulous visitors guide! 
 
Have you visited any on my list? What have I missed? What is your favourite thing to do in this fair county?
 
You can keep up to date with all my Cumbrian blog posts with this link here!
 
Don't forget to subscribe, you can use this handy Bloglovin link or look over on my right hand side bar for other ways to ensure you never miss a post on The Perfect Hiding Place.
 

2 comments:

  1. Darling lovely Jo, this gave me a lump in my throat - like you i havent been directly affected this time but man, it's been an emotional few days hasnt it?! And i still keep hoping i'll wake up and it'll have all been a dream! This is a wonderful post and makes me ever so proud that Cumbria adopted me from Scotland xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! So sad that people were left homeless. Your guide makes me want to visit Cumbria soon, though ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I read each and every one, and they mean a lot to me. I do always try my best to reply.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...