{Instagram}

2 January 2017

The outdoor adventures of 2016



I've been writing up review posts of this kind for the past good few years now and I just LOVE compiling these. You can see here 2013, 2014 and 2015.  It is part of my new year ritual to look back through the year and realise what fun adventures I have had, and 2016 is certainly no exception.

I've always said I blog for me first and foremost, I love having this 'diary' of the things I have done so I can look back and remember super fun times.

So here is my 2016 in outdoor adventures:


Above - Biking to Pooley Bridge when the bridge was down and a, er, rather muddy de-tour!

In February we biked the Old Coach Road and it was one of the most stunning bike rides ever. It was also crazy hard work getting back up!
It finally snowed in February too! We were not going to let the fact it was dark out stop the sledging fun! Night sledging was born! And good job we went then too, we had the park to ourselves and the snow had melted the next day.


In March we attempted a climb of Scafell Pike, only the highest mountain in England! We got very very near to the top and headed back down. We were not anticipating the thick ice and snow up there. But I was super proud of how far I did get to.


Also in March we visited one of our fave places Tilly's Barn with Mark's sister and partner and my sister and brother in law, it as such a fab visit. During the stay we wandered up the Langstrath Valley to Black Moss Pot.
I visited Edinburgh in 2016 with my friend Ailsa, we had THE best time meeting all the animals at the zoo.


And we of course HAD to visit Edinburgh Castle too.


In April for Dad's birthday my sister and I treated him to a lovely day out. We enjoyed a tour on the Ullswater steamers and visited some of the little Cumbrian villages that got devastated in the 2015 floods.




In May Mark and I made our annual camping trip to Keswick. We did a walk over Latrigg fell and down the other side, following the de-tour of the flooded out Old Railway Footpath. I think this was my very fave walk of the year.


In June we enjoyed the absolutely stunning surroundings of Armathwaite hall when we were treated to a very posh Afternoon Tea.


In July, during THE hottest weekend of the year we camped at Keilder, I was blown away by the place, was stunning. The first day we cycled all the way round the reservoir, all 27miles and they were by NO means flat miles either. It was absolutely knackering in the heat but we had so much fun doing it.


And in September we embarked on the biggest challenge of them all when we took on our allotment plot.


August bank holiday weekend we were in sunny Silloth for Solfest, a local Cumbrian music festival. We certainly got into the spirit of things!


Dad, Kara dog and I enjoyed a delightful walk along the South Tynedale Railway footpath, and got the little train back. Kara loves a train ride, especially when she gets her own ticket, screeeam!


I am afraid I cannot mention outdoor adventures this year without reference to Pokemon Go. We have seriously had THE best fun playing this over the later part of the year, and oh yes we are still playing! We were literally out every night in the summer months poke hunting, certainly got us up off the sofa and away from the TV!


We discovered new to us places this year too with a visit to St Bees and a walk along the cliffs.


I took part in the Cumbrian Colour Run for my work team, raising money for a local hospice.


And look who did a bit of outdoor adventuring herself this year! Meg mog discovered the outside world for the very first time! 


As Autumn came round we popped over for a weekend visit with the sis and bro in law in the North East. We enjoyed a simply delightful day exploring Tynemouth, which I loved.


It got super super cold in November but Mark and I were determined to make the most for the pretty sunny, frosty days with a visit to Lowther Castle and a beautiful walk in the Lowther Park.


Our frosty wintery walks continued with a walk up Walla Cragg near Keswick.

Over the Christmas holidays our adventuring continued with the Rosthwaite Round walk, taking in Watendlath, Dock Tarn and Stonethwaite.

Phew! Well I'm pretty pleased with all our adventures this year. Let's hope there are many more to come in 2017. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow , lovely walks , you certainly get out and about , I didn't know about some of them .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I read each and every one, and they mean a lot to me. I do always try my best to reply.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...